Recipe Review: Salsa Verde Slow-Cooker Tacos
January 23, 2020
The other week, Harper told me that he wants to be a chef when he grows up. Over the long weekend, I had planned to take him out for ice cream or something else fun, but instead, he requested that we stay home and I teach him how to cook.
I’ve never been a huge chef at home, but it’s something I’ve been wanting to work on for a while. When I do cook, it tends to be simple and sweet. Harper’s new passion for cooking has given me the perfect opportunity to expand my repertoire!
With my busy schedule, I’m usually running from the phone to the laptop to Harper and back, so I don’t exactly have time to source a variety of unique ingredients or monitor a bubbling pot for hours. Plus, one of my favorite cuisines is Mexican food – we all love a good taco! So when I found this slow-cooker beef taco recipe with salsa verde from Food Network Magazine, it seemed like the perfect fit.
What I love about this recipe is how ridiculously SIMPLE it is. Just 6 ingredients and less than 10 minutes hands-on with a beef chuck roast and you’ve got the perfect shredded, tender meat for whatever taco recipe you’re craving. We topped our tacos with limes, lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream!
The key to this slow-cooker taco recipe is the salsa verde, which you put in with the roast as it’s cooking in the slow cooker. You can use whatever you prefer, but my favorite is Herdez Salsa Verde. We used the mild version this time since Harper also wanted to have some, but a spicy salsa would also be delicious!
Salsa Verde Slow-Cooker Tacos
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 3-pound boneless beef chuck roast
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 16-ounce jar of salsa verde
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
1. Start by heating the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the roast with cumin, salt, and pepper. Sear the roast in the skillet for 3 minutes on each side. This will keep the juices inside the meat as it cooks in the slow cooker.
2. Add meat to the slow cooker and add the salsa verde, onion, and garlic. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
3. After the meat is done in the slow-cooker, transfer it to a cutting board and shred it using two forks. Return the meat to the slow cooker and serve it into tacos from there, using your favorite toppings or whatever you have on hand.